Performing Mold Removal Yourself Is a Mistake – Here’s Why!
We can all agree that mold is bad. Not only is it “yucky” to look at, but mold also leaves behind a musty odor and can even create serious health complications. It’s only natural, then, that you’d want to attack the enemy as soon as it’s detected within your home. Before putting on your rubber gloves and getting out a bucket of bleach, though, we urge you to think twice. If you don’t actually know how to go about the process of cleaning and removing mold, attempting to get rid of it on your own could actually make the problem worse while putting your own health at risk. This post will look at some of the most common mistakes that people make when trying to banish mold from their homes and what you should do instead.
Mistake #1: Using Bleach for Mold Removal
It is a widely held misconception that bleach is the best remedy for getting rid of mold. Countless homeowners have tried to scrub away their mold problems with chemicals like Clorox and have been dismayed when the mold has come back! Why is this? First of all, bleach is actually a water-based product. What does mold need in order to grow and thrive? That’s right – water! By using bleach, you’re actually making it easier for your mold problem to thrive. Secondly, bleach encourages mold to release mycotoxins in order to stay alive. These mycotoxins are what make people sick. On top of everything else, working with bleach means that you’ve probably exposed yourself to harsh chemical fumes! It’s a bad idea all around.
Mistake #2: Using Mold-Resistant Paint
We’ve seen tons of homeowners try to remedy their problems with mold by coating their walls and ceilings with mold-killing or mold-resistant paint. After all, this seems like a pretty quick fix and it may even seem to work at first. Unfortunately, this type of paint isn’t designed to eradicate the underlying problem and mold can still continue to grow under the paint. Ultimately, this makes it even harder for you to remove mold in the long run.
Mistake #3: Cross-Contamination
Unfortunately, the majority of those attempting do-it-yourself mold abatement are blissfully ignorant of the risks associated with cross-contamination. Without taking steps for containment, mold spores will quickly become airborne as you clean and move on to infiltrate other parts of the home. In addition to this, mold spores can work their way into clothing, thus leading to even more contamination.
Professional Mold Abatement is the Key
Even if a mold problem seems relatively small, it’s most likely a bigger (and more toxic) issue than you are qualified to deal with. Because so many mistakes can be made when trying to clean up mold on your own, it’s very important that you take the time to find a professional mold abatement company. These experts will be able to detect the presence of any mold that may be hiding in your house. After all, finding spores on your walls or floors could mean that the problem also exists behind the walls and under the floors! A professional team will be able to get rid of it all with the right cleaning chemicals and equipment. They will also be able to set up a containment and negative airflow environment to ensure that spores don’t spread throughout the cleaning process. After all has been said and done, this is the only way to ensure that you’re able to get mold out of your home for good.
Looking for a mold removal company that you can trust? Abbotts Fire & Flood should be the first name on your list. Give us a call for a free quote today.