Watch Out For These Mold Warning Signs
When left unchecked, accumulated moisture around your home can quickly cause mold growth in various areas. Even if this mold doesn’t end up being toxic, the spores that enter your home’s air can cause respiratory issues, especially with household members who already suffer from asthma or allergies.
The best way to prevent mold damage is by removing moisture before mold can have the opportunity to grow. But, since we don’t live in a perfect world, some mold might go unnoticed for an extended period of time. If this occurs, then it’s important that you are able to know the warning signs right away. To help you out, we’ve compiled the most common warning signs of mold growth right here:
Visual Confirmation of Mold
Let’s start with the most obvious – visual confirmation. If you can see mold on your walls, around the edges of your windows, along your pipes, or in your bathroom, guess what? You have mold! When you find these visual “clues,” you should definitely clean them up, but you must also remember that mold isn’t always visible right away, so professional removal should be considered.
When mold accumulates in a certain spot, there’s a good chance that you’ll experience a musty odor in certain areas of your home. If the smell seems to be everywhere, then there’s a high likelihood that the problem is somewhere within your HVAC system. When this occurs, the system should be cleaned, and you may want to consider installing a series of ultraviolet lights to keep future mold at bay.
You know the old adage of where there’s smoke, there’s fire? Well, it could also be said that where there’s water stains, there’s mold. When you find a water stain inside or outside your household, this usually indicates heavy damage to the area for an extended period of time. This means that mold has very likely been given the opportunity to grow and flourish. When you fix the water stain, be sure to remove any mold, as well.
Discovery of Leaks
Leaks coming from your pipes, faucets, roof, and other places can create the perfect opportunity for water to accumulate, which can often lead to mold growth. If you discover any leaks in your home, be sure to check the area for any visual signs of mold. But, even if you don’t see any mold right away, it’s always a good idea to clean the area just in case.
When mold accumulates and gets into the air, it will often find its way to your respiratory system. This can cause breathing problems such as shortness of breath and snoring, both of which can disrupt your sleeping schedule and create other unhealthy situations. If you have been experiencing any respiratory issues that you can’t immediately find the reason for, then it’s time to test for mold.
Think of this as Water Stains 2.0. When water gets soaked into wood, it often causes wood to become warped. This usually takes a while to occur, which means that mold has likely had plenty of time to grow wherever the damage has occurred. So, if you see warped wood, it’s time to replace the wood and search for any signs of mold in the vicinity.
If your home has experienced water, fire, mold, or any other type of damage, then you should call professionals right away. The team of repair and restoration experts at Abbotts Fire & Flood is always a phone call away and we’ll send someone out to your home or place of business in record time. Reach out when you need us and we’ll be there!