Fire Damage Risks That You Might Not Think Of
Fire and smoke damage sustained in a home is, to a certain degree, a standard sort of affair. Depending on the type of structure involved and the materials contained therein, repair and restoration experts know what to expect going in. After a short time of working in the industry, it gets a little difficult to surprise them.
What they’re sometimes not prepared for, however, is what started the fire in the first place. Homeowners are often aware of the dangers of grease on a stove, faulty wiring, exposed candles, and similar sources of fire, but there are other causes that you should keep in mind. Here are a few unique causes that you should definitely keep in mind:
In recent years, the idea of spontaneous combustion in human beings has been debunked – at least as far as most people are concerned. But, what if we told you that there is a product out there that could cause this in your household? Linseed oil is a popular product used to preserve wood. While safe on wood, rags that have soaked up the oil can spontaneously combust with nothing to spark the fire. Linseed oil-soaked rags that have been wadded up will heat up as the concentrated oil evaporates. In many cases, it will reach a point where a fire breaks out. This can be avoided by spreading these rags across your driveway and allowing them to dry or by placing them in a container of water and sealing it up.
Wall Air Fresheners
Plug-in air fresheners can do wonders to keep your home smelling nice and fresh, but there is a dark side to these devices. The oil that heats up gets extremely hot, but the bigger problem is that this happens to the outlet, too. The fact that these devices are often made with a thin plastic makes the situation even worse. If you decide to use them, limit their usage by switching them off once your home smells good. Another good rule to follow is to unplug them at night and while you’re away.
There’s a good chance that you’ve received a recall notice in the mail about some type of product you’ve purchased, be it a car, television, stove, or something else. Some of these recalls ask for a return of the product while others require being fixed by the manufacturer (at no cost to you). The problem is that you might own an electronic device that has been recalled without even knowing it. Luckily, all you gotta do is visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission website and search for any product you’re concerned about.
Did we say “old”? Sorry – the correct term is probably “vintage.” Regardless, older TV’s, stereos equipment, boom boxes, and similar devices present a fire hazard due to their oft inferior design and aging components. So, while a tube TV might make your retro Atari console look great, you may be risking a fire.
Nail Polish Remover
If you’ve ever been in a room with someone using nail polish remover, wow – that is certainly a distinctive smell! That’s because of the chemicals involved, and those chemicals are highly flammable. While the polish remover can’t catch fire by themselves (we’re looking at you, linseed oil), you should avoid any open flames, outlets, or any other source of a potential spark.
Protecting your home against fire and smoke damage should be a top priority in your household. If you do experience damage, though, you’ll want to get it taken care of right away. The experts at Abbotts Fire & Flood have many years of experience in getting your home back to normal so that you can get on with your life. Contact us today and we will evaluate your needs and get started!
Helping our neighbors in the following communities throughout Denver, Boulder and the entire front-range.
- Castle Pines
- Castle Rock
- Colorado Springs
- Commerce City
- Fort Collins
- Greenwood Village
- Highlands Ranch
- Lone Tree
- Wheat Ridge
We are the help you need when you need it.
- 60-Minute Response Time
- 24 / 7 Emergency Response
- Latest Equipment
- IICRC Certified Firm
Abbotts Cleanup & Restoration
2301 S Jason Street, Denver, CO 80223